Your Rights and Responsibilities As a Residential Landlord
Speaker: Mauricio Cuellar, Esq - Lauletta Birnbaum LLC
Landlords have many rights, including the rights to choose who will live in their rental properties; set lease terms. These rights are not unlimited, however.
Mauricio will discuss how to avoid costly legal disputes and confusion with tenants, it’s crucial that landlords understand their legal responsibilities that set limits on their rights by requiring landlords to comply and will also be discussed;
- Fair housing laws that prohibit housing discrimination, on the basis of race, gender, and other factors, when landlords choose and deal with tenants
- Rent rules that cover late rent fees, procedures and forms for terminating a tenancy for nonpayment of rent
- Security deposit limits, uses, and return policies
- Habitability standards and requirements
- Mandated lease disclosures
- Specific rules, procedures, and forms for terminating a tenancy and evicting a tenant.
Bio - Mauricio Cuellar joins Lauletta Birnbaum after having conducted research, performed due diligence assessments, and participated in contract work for out-of-state and international clients while serving legal internships for two Philadelphia law firms and one of the world’s largest multiline property and casualty insurers.
While in law school, Mauricio put the theories learned into practice. He was selected to participate as a Due Diligence Fellow for the Keiretsu Forum Mid-Atlantic Chapter, an angel investment group, where he reviewed the start-ups’ operating agreements, client contracts, financial projections and drafted reports outlining the viability of the investment. Concurrently, he worked as a Law Clerk with a law firm, primarily focused on bankruptcy and foreclosure matters with offices in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, where he assisted lenders and homeowners in reaching loan modification agreements. In addition, he clerked during his second year summer for White & Williams, LLP, where he was exposed to an array of matters ranging from real property disputes to international mergers.
Prior to law school, Mauricio worked as a tax searcher, researching and identifying adverse claims attached to property in real estate deals.
J.D., with a Business & Entrepreneurship Concentration, Drexel University, Thomas R. Kline School of Law (2013)
B.S. with a major in Finance, Rutgers University (2009)
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
NEW INVESTORS, this is the place to start.
- We are a round-table discussion covering the basics of real estate investing for the novice investor.
- Come learn how to earn a profit and avoid the pitfalls of real-estate investing.
- This group was created to educate not only new investors but also offer a variety of topics to sharpen the skills of seasoned investors as well.
- New members are welcome to join at any meeting. Just sign up at the door and pay with cash, check (payable to SJREIA) or credit card.
Where: The Brooklawn Diner (on the circle ) - 297 Crescent Blvd, Brooklawn, NJ 08030
Eating and networking @ 6pm meeting starts at 7pm. End time is 9pm.
When: First Monday of the month
Cost: Members attend for FREE – Visitors pay $15.
Dinner is not provided. A full menu available at restaurant -- everyone orders their own meal.
Subgroup Leader: Carmen Sarlo
Bio : Carmen is a seasoned investor and realtor. He will share years of investing experience with you to help you get started in real estate investing.